Monday, September 20, 2010

More Info

December 23, 2006
Tonight’s subject: Motorscooters!  I have had, and ridden, some kind of bike since I was 14 years old, so we are looking at over 40 years. I started out on scooters, and I have ended up on scooters. Over the years, I have had a number of street bikes, but found myself unable to ride them several years ago when my feet started falling off. For non-riders, shifting of gears is done with the left foot, and mine is fake so I am unable to use it for that purpose. In addition, my legs are no longer strong enough to hold up a large street bike when I am stopped. My scooters are the answer, being lighter than a street bike of comparable engine size, and having automatic transmissions, so there is nothing for my fake foot to do. The "small scooter" has a 250cc engine which is small, but quite adequate for around-town use, though I have taken it on some trips (from Birmingham to Knoxville TN, Panama City FL, etc).  The "big scooter" is really a motorcycle with a step-thru frame and smaller wheels - 600cc engine, 0-60 in 5 seconds, top speed over 100 mph, cruises at 70 effortlessly, and will carry luggage, so it is a marvelous highway machine.  I ride for enjoyment, and get a bunch of it. And I have the only handicapped motorcycle plates on the block, so I can park nearly anywhere!  I am a member of the Birmingham Scooter Syndicate, the Valkyrie Riders Cruiser Club, and the Southern Cruisers Riding Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment