Monday, September 20, 2010

Preliminary Info

December 21, 2006
I have been told that while we wait for this thing to ramp up as a regular blog, I should use the time to aquaint the readers with me, and give some warning as to where some of my opinion originates. The issue for today is Disability. I am, in several ways, disabled. I am a type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetic, getting more brittle as years go by, (my glucose gets harder to control) and along with that comes a world of complications. I have had three heart attacks, with resulting congestive heart failure; my present heart function is about 30%. As a result of injury to my feet, I have lost one leg just below the knee, and have about 2/3 of a foot on the other side. Needless to say, I don’t get around very well. I walk with a cane, and use a wheelchair or mobility scooter at times. None of this has stuck me at the house. There are a number of things I can not do these days, and a number of things I need assistance to do, but I keep doing.
My point is this - when you see someone like me hobbling or scootering along, do not look at it as a tragedy, but as someone just using the tools they need to get along. Some people need eyeglasses, some need hearing aids, and some need the equipment I use. Same difference. Other subjects to come…

No comments:

Post a Comment